Sunday, July 29, 2007

Facebook poll: What mapping site do you use?


I just ran a poll on facebook to see which mapping site people use. Mostly I was curious about facebook polls, but the market research is also useful to me as I work on google maps. I was impressed by how fast the responses came in (182 in ~20 minutes), and it was fun to watch them in real time, though at $0.25 per response it cost a pretty penny. Maybe I can expense it :) The results were a bit surprising to me, but maybe not given the demographic (facebook users on facebook at midnight). Anyways, click through to see the detailed results with breakdowns by age, gender etc.

Rants:
  • Why is blogger's image upload so slow tonight and why does the image come out grainy even when I select large size?
  • I wish the preview button on blogger's compose page showed me what the post will look like on my blog's frontpage (currently the preview doesn't look at all like it does once I post it because the width is different).
  • Facebook should make it easier for me to share my polls with my friends.
  • I wish facebook polls showed me a geographic breakdown of the users that responded.
  • I would also like to be able to control the time range over which the poll will be shown so I don't just get facebook users at midnight.
  • Make the polls app easier to find on facebook. I want to be able to search for it! Currently the only way to get to it is through a little link at the bottom of the page.
  • I wish facebook allowed poll results to be viewed without logging in.
  • Why does it take so long for facebook to import this post as a note? I'm tempted to just write the note in facebook instead of on blogger so it will be distributed faster on facebook, but then the note would only be accessible to facebook users. I wish facebook was more open in cases like this. Photos can be viewed without logging in (if the user who uploaded an album sends you the right link), why not notes?
  • Why did gmail mark this post as spam?!?! I have a google groups email list I set up to distribute my blog posts to people (like my parents) that prefer to read them via email than via a blog reader or the web. I myself am also subscribed to this list but the message it sent to me was marked as spam :( C'mon, I'm using Google's Blogger to send a message through Google Groups to my Google Mail account, and it gets marked as spam. Sigh.
Update:

Another rant: Turns out that facebook doesn't allow users to see polls that others have created :( Isn't the whole point of facebook to make it easy to share things like this?!? Anways, I've taken a screenshot of the poll page and changed the links above to point to that screenshot instead of facebook so others can see it.

No comments: