Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Google Maps Street View!

We (the Google Maps team, of which I am a member) just launched Street View! This new feature allows you to see various cities as they would look from the ground, all from within Google Maps. Basically we drove a car around the streets of various cities in the US, taking pictures with a panoramic camera, and now we display them for our users on Google Maps. In my opinion, this is insanely cool :)

I am particularly proud of this new feature since I was part of the mini engineering team (within the larger Google Maps team) that helped launch it. As an easter egg, we had taking panorama-picture-taking-car take a picture of everyone involved in the Street View feature so we could show it on Google Maps:

Google Maps Street View team picture


I'm the guy in the center back of the above picture.

Anyways, try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments: