Sunday, April 20, 2008

Possible identity fraud thanks to Helio

I just got this letter in the mail from Helio:

We are writing to you because of a recent compromise in security. Helio has discovered that restricted data containing certain personal information was accessed through illegal means.

We regret to inform you that your name is among those that may have been compromised. While we are uncertain whether your personal information was actually obtained, we know that the individual(s) responsible sought and retrieved some personal information, including customer names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth and partial Social Security numbers (last four digits).

Helio has taken steps to secure this data by limiting access to this information, resetting passwords and implementing new procedures to protect this information. In addition, Helio has notified the appropriate law enforcement agencies and an investigation is being conducted.

About 1.5 years ago I bought a Helio phone to try out the built in GPS, but returned it within a month because it was nowhere near able to replace my Treo. I was a bit peeved at Helio because the sales guy ensured me that I could get all my money back if I returned it within a month, but in the end I still had to pay for 1 month of service. Now, thanks to this "compromise in security", I need to deal with the hassle of potential identity fraud - contacting credit bureaus, placing a fraud alert with them, being on alert myself for the next year, etc. Ugh. I hate Helio.

No comments: